The Dakota Territorial Capitol replica signifies Yankton as being the first capitol of the Dakota Territory from 1861-1883. The replica is patterned after the original Dakota Territorial Capitol built in Yankton in the fall of 1862 on the northeast corner of 4th and Capital St., the original building served as a legislative house during the settlement of Dakota Territory until April 1883, when Bismarck, ND became the capital city. For a few years, the capitol building continued to serve as a town meeting hall, a school, the Congregational Church, and the Masonic Temple. The original building was sold and dismantled in 1886. Displays in the replica building include old photographs of Yankton, maps of the Dakota Territory, a gallery of former Dakota Territorial governors and a tribute to the local St. John’s Masonic Lodge. Visitors will want to view the quilt highlighting Yankton landmarks, made by the four Yankton Quester chapters.
The building is 25 feet by 45 feet, has two floors, and a restroom. The facility is available for rent to hold special events. For rental or viewing of the capitol, contact the Parks and Recreation Department by calling or visit the City’s webpage below.
Riverside Park (Intersection of Douglas Avenue and Levee Street)